Friday 4 February 2011

Let's get cracking

Hello again everyone and a big welcome to our new penpals :) I don't know how you all want to go about this (I'm still impressed by the way people have found this and have been tweeting etc) but here are my thoughts.

Since I'm assuming that none of us know each other in real life I thought we could each post a comment under this post giving a little intro to ourselves but without giving away too many personal details. I think this will be a great way to find out who we're going to be compatible with in 'penpal terms' and then we can start writing letters to those who we want. This page acts as a meeting board/main forum and maybe eventually a support network for each other in whatever guise.

We can all write to as many people as we want as many times as we want. For example you can write to one person lots or you could see something you both like and maybe send something to someone once because you know that person appreciates it. Or if we hear that a fellow penpal is having a rough time  or has something to celebrate we can send them messages of support/congratulations.

I'm of course very aware about weirdos hence the fact I'm insisting that no addresses or anything should ever be swapped on this blog page! If you want to start writing to someone please swap email addresses and swap addresses privately. This is all entirely up to you, what you're comfortable with etc.Once we're all happy with how everything is going to go, I'll write up some official 'user rules' so we all know where we are, what we're doing and what's acceptable.

Most of all I just want people to enjoy this, have an excuse to write nice letter and get a bit of nice post once in a while. I want us to discuss great stationery, what letter writing means to us and all sorts like that. Also, invite as many people as you can - the more the merrier! Give me a bit of feedback if you have the time. Otherwise lets get cracking!

Nat x

8 comments:

  1. I'll start! I'm Nat. For the past 3 years I've run my own business www.prettyfulthings.com which has been hard work but an amazing time in my life. I love competitions and have a knack of winning regularly (esp last year.)

    I have a bit of a passion for shoes and going to festivals and gigs.

    I'm looking for my next big adventure/exciting moment and I'm hoping with your help this could be a part if it all :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll go second! My name is Emma (25y/o) - I'm very girlie and always have painted nails and have recently rediscovered a make up obsession.
    I work in a male dominated profession and wear an ill-fitting manly uniform, every day is different and sometimes I have to remind myself this is real life. My job is surreal sometimes! (Can you guess what it is yet?)
    I'm about to move in with my boyfriend and have a bit of a story behind it all. Drama sometimes follows me home!
    I love writing letters, cards, postcards and miss the excitement of good post! I'd love to make good friends through this. I think the art of letter writing needs to become popular again! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loving your comment Emma. Great that you're about to move in with your boyf - how exciting! I'm still saving for that but I'm looking forward to being able to find cute and kooky things to go in it! I reckon I can guess what your job is but that's for you to reveal if you want :)

    Are you happy with the suggestions so far about how all this will work? If you have any suggestions feel free to voice them :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm only moving in with my boyfriend in a house share (not a massive fan of his housemates so could be interesting!) but it's while we save up for somewhere of our own. It's been fun buying little bits and pieces for it though - luckily his room is huge! Although I've had to have a massive clear out clothes-wise - eBay will be seeing a lot of me soon!

    I'm more than happy with the suggestions so far. We just need more people! I'll keep retweeting however I haven't got hundreds of followers! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. You should try BigWardrobe too. That seems pretty good for swapping/selling your clothes and bits and bobs. If you decide you want to, I've got a referral link if that's ok with you?

    When you and your boyf moving in? eeee I'm so excited for you!

    I've been trying to think of ways of getting more people involved. Loads of people tweeted me about it so I'm still waiting for them to join! I've made a subscription box so we can get updates straight to our inbox! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Nat

    I'm Debbie (37) - I'm a mum of two, from Somerset. I own my own business www.squeakypigshop.co.uk and also work part-time in HR.

    When I'm not being a mum or working, you can find me horse riding or reading a good book (normally chick-lit).

    I miss the old fashioned 'snailmail' letter writing so am looking forward to sending and receiving some at long last!

    I hope that is enough information for starters..?

    PS: Thank you Nat for organising this, you are doing a fab job! I shall continue to spread the word.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Debbie and thanks for your introduction :)Another business owner! We're an entrepreneurial bunch!

    I used to love horse riding but haven't really had the time or money since I was little. I've only been a couple of times on holiday since then :(

    I love reading too. I love chick-lit, true crime, cookery books...anything really!

    Sounds like we're all going to get along like a house on fire. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just seen the replies to this! Hello Debbie!

    Me and the boyfriend move in together in March - got the wardrobes and stupidly big tv up, now just got to start moving everything over here!
    I haven't got round to sorting out the eBay stuff but I will check out Buf Wardrobe first - never heard of it!

    Any gigs coming up Natalie? Which festivals so you tend to go to?
    xx

    ReplyDelete